If you think I would pass up the opportunity to celebrate Halloween without a little ZooFit trick or treat, you are sadly mistaken. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. It’s the one day you can be ANYTHING. A unicorn, a beluga (who wouldn’t want to be a beluga?), a goddess, or a wizard.
Some of my favorite Halloween memories are surrounded by Harry Potter. I used to go to Halloween events with friends dressed as Harry Potter characters and trick-or-treat. And then there was that one time I organized a Harry Potter cruise over Halloween. Best. Halloween. Ever.
I used to be all about the candy and the costumes. Now, I know this sounds super cheesy, but my favorite treat is taking better care of myself and the planet. I know, gag me. But it really is true. Attending a Harry Potter event earlier in the month, I kept thinking how awesome it would be to promote healthier eating and conservation through our connection to the Boy Who Lived.
Chocolate Frogs, Cauldron Cakes, Ton-tongue Toffee, Pumpkin Pasties, and Exploding Bon-bons are some favorite treats from the wizarding world, but these treats can have a negative impact on the environment. Most of these products contain palm oil, an ingredient causing havoc on wildlife in southeast Asia (see my post about the Scariest Part of Halloween)
We can still enjoy Halloween without destroying the environment. Look into the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and make sure your snacks are using sustainable palm oil, if any. Download the palm oil app and look up your favorite foods on Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s palm oil guide. It’s a great way to limit your intake, without giving up EVERYTHING you love. At least until you are ready.
I’m tempted to program another Harry Potter workout for today. I have plenty, I’m not using them all up. And since it’s a candy-themed holiday, I can program Bertie Botts Every Flavor Burpees workout. Which is also poignant to prepare everyone for tomorrow being Novemburpee.
Bertie Botts Every Flavor Burpees
- 7 Bertie Botts Burpees- each round a different type of burpee
- Round 1: Harry Potter Burpees (hand-release push-up at the bottom of the burpee)
- Round 2: Slytherin burpees (sidewinder at bottom of burpee)
- Round 3: Gryffindor burpees (lion push-up at bottom)
- Round 4: Ravenclaw burpees (Flyaway instead of push-up)
- Round 5: Hufflepuff burpees (high knees instead of jump at end)
- Round 6: Hogwarts burpees (mountain climbers)
- Round 7: Trio T-twist burpees (burpee to side plank and switch sides)
- 7 Chocolate Frog Hops
- 1 minute Weasley Wizarding Wheezes Wall-Sit